Important Information: By reading this Help page, you will get to know how to manage the Creating and managing Board Templates in the Old Board Layout. If you want to perform the same in the New Board layout, see this Help page.
Templates in SwiftKanban are ready-to-use Board models (comprising of Lane Settings, Card Types, and Board Policies) that you can select while creating a Board.
Template in SwiftKanban can be a great feature when you plan to perform any of these tasks:
- Save the time and effort of manually creating the Kanban board from scratch.
- Reuse any existing Kanban board as a template to create a similar type of board in the future.
You can use the Template feature in Swiftkanban to perform various tasks, such as:
Create a Board Template
To add a template, perform the following task:
- Go to Admin>> Settings, and click the Templates icon on the Side toolbar. In the Templates view, click the Create icon on the Side toolbar.
- Enter the Template name and description, and click the Create button. The Kanban Board for the template is displayed. Alternatively, you can open the template by navigating to Admin > Settings > Templates view and double-clicking it from the Template list.
Note: The newly created template is active by default.
In the Kanban Board of the Template, you can perform the following tasks:
Define the process on the board or enable Lanes, by clicking the Board Editor button. For detailed help, see Visualize Your Workflow/Process help page for defining the process on the Kanban Board.
To configure the card types, go to Board Editor, and then click the Card Types icon. To know more about how to define card types, see the Configuring Card Types help page.
To configure Board Policies, go to Board Editor, and click the Other Policies icon. To know more about various policies on cards and WIP limit, see the Configuring Board Policies help page.
On saving the workflow and returning to the Kanban Board of the template, the board displays the new process and the dummy cards for the card types are configured. The template is now available for creating boards based on a template.
To deactivate a template, click the Deactivate  icon on the Side toolbar, the template will not be available for selection when creating a Board.
Editing the Template
You can make changes to a template profile and Kanban Board, however, the changes do not flow down to the existing boards using the template.
To edit, double-click the template in the Templates view.
You can also go to the Template Profile by clicking the Profile menu displayed on hovering on the breadcrumb.
In the Profile, you can edit the template details such as name, and description, enter comments, upload, download or delete attachments and also remove the template itself by clicking the Delete button.
To edit the Kanban board of the template, hover on the breadcrumb and click Kanban Board from the menu. Click the Board Editor icon on the toolbar. Make changes to the Board and save.
Saving Existing Board as Template
You can save an existing board as a template. This can be later used for creating a new board with the pre-configured board, card types, and board policies.
- Go to Admin >> All Boards.
- Select the required board and click the Save As Template () icon on the toolbar.
- In the Create New Template window, provide the ‘Template Name’ and ‘Description’ and save this as a template.
- Navigate to Admin >> Settings, click the Templates icon () on the side toolbar to see the list of templates.
- Double-click the template you have created and then click the Activate icon () on the Side toolbar.
Thanksgiving each year is a big occasion for family and friends – to get together, eat, drink, and be merry – and of course, be grateful for what we have!
SwiftKanban provides a ‘ready-to-use’ Thanksgiving Template that can be used for any party planning, birthday bash, or holidaying. Give it a whirl and don’t forget to tell us how the visual planning helped you.