In SwiftKanban, there are two types of roles for accessing features, these are:
- Primary Role: Role primarily provided for a user when he/she is registered in SwiftKanban to access the application.
- Board Role: Role provided for a team member to access the features when assigned to a board.
Note that a user cannot be assigned multiple primary or board roles.
Following are the roles that you can assign to a user:
- The ‘Admin’ role allows users to access to perform administrative tasks for the organization and boards.
As an administrator, the user can access the ‘People’ menu to create users in the enterprise and change roles or other details of a user. Users can open all boards created in the application by users. Once a user opens the board, he/she can view and edit the board details. Users can invite a team member and delete a team member to set up a team. They can export and import cards from the List view. However, they cannot contribute to the Kanban Board unless invited to the board. Users can create Board Templates and save existing Boards as templates.
- The ‘Manager’ role allows users to create a Board in an enterprise, edit board details.
As a manager of a board, users can perform managerial tasks such as inviting team members to a board and change a team member’s role, maintaining backlog, adding/modifying/deleting cards, export and import cards, add and schedule releases and sprints, and modify processes using Board Editor.
- The ‘Member’ role allows users to access the boards to which a user is invited, and the People menu to view users in the enterprise.
A team member can work with cards on the Kanban Board such as add cards, pull, and move cards, block cards, delete cards, change card type for cards, delete cards, etc. However, team members cannot modify the process.
- The ‘Reader’ role allows users a read-only access to the Kanban Board.
Users cannot work with cards on the Kanban Board such as add and move cards, block cards, archive, and move cards to the backlog, add To-Dos. Users can view cards on the board, apply board filter, expand/collapse lanes and cards, view, add and reply to comments, view activity log for the cards and the board, maximize the screen, and refresh the board. They can export cards from the List view, but cannot import cards into SwiftKanban. Users with this role can also view user list in the People menu.
Points to note when assigning role to a team member on a board when inviting a user as a team member or changing the role of the team member:
- A user with primary role as ‘Manager’ can be assigned a ‘Reader’ or ‘Member ‘role on a board.
- A user with primary role as ‘Member’ can be assigned a ‘Reader’ role on a board, but not ‘Manager’ role.
- A user with primary role as ‘Reader’ can be assigned a ‘Reader’ role only.
- A user with primary role as ‘Admin’ can be assigned a ‘Manager’, ‘Member’, or ‘Reader’ role on a board.