To enforce better collaboration and compliance of the established processes, you can define additional policies for movement of cards on the board.
Note: You will not be able to modify the Board Policies for a Closed Board. The Board Editor icon itself will not be visible for a Closed Board. To know more about the Closed Board, see this Help page.
1. To activate the policies, navigate to your Kanban board, and click the Board Editor icon on the Side toolbar.
2 .In the Board Editor view, click the Board Policies icon on the toolbar. Various policies are displayed.
Note: Based on the assigned role on the board, the user can view the Board Policies icon.
- Make comment entry mandatory on card movement: When team members move a card from one lane to another, the comment window appears, where they must enter comments. The policy helps the team to stay updated (by tracking the Comments section of the card) when cards change lanes.
Note: While adding a comment, you can mention your teammates in the comment too. To know more, click here
- Alert team members if the cards are moved without task closure: If the card has To-Dos that have not been closed, the Complete Pending To-Dos window appears before the card moves to the next lane. Team members can update the Current State of the pending To-Do. On clicking the ‘Mark All as Complete icon’ on the To-Do toolbar, the pending To-Dos are automatically set to ‘Completed’. The policy proposes team members to close the pending To-Dos, but does not restrict from pulling the card to the next lane or keeping the To-Do as pending.
- Attach reason code while card Blocking: When blocking a card, besides adding the comment for blocking, team members can select the reason code for blocking, i.e. Insufficient Information, WIP Limit Exceeded, or On Hold. This enables tracking the reasons for blocking cards.
- Set default card type as <select any of the card types configured on your board>: When team members add card on the board, the default card type set here appears automatically in the Card Type list in the Add card window. The policy saves time in selecting the card type manually, that are mostly added on the board. You can set card types that have been enabled for your board.
- Track WIP limit violation reason: When team members pull a card violating the WIP limit of that lane, they have to enter the reason for violation in the Comments window. The comments/reason entered on WIP violation are shown under the ‘Comments’ section of the Card and in the board ‘Activity Log’. This policy helps to track the reason behind WIP limit violation.
- Restrict Column WIP Limit Violation: It prevents addition or moving of cards to a column once its WIP limit is reached.
- WIP limit in terms of estimate: When selected, the WIP limit for a lane or column will be counted based on the estimate points of the cards.
- Auto-assign cards when pulled : When team members pull a card, the card will get automatically assigned to the team member who pulls it. The policy enables automatic assignment, thus keeping correct track of who is working on it as a card owner.
- Auto archive the cards in the Done type column after  days: Any card that has been in the Done column or beyond for more than the specified number of days will be auto-archived.For Example, If you define the number of days in this field as 3, then all the cards that are in the done column or beyond for more than 3 days will be archived automatically.
Note: The minimum value will be 1 day otherwise policy will be not be saved.
- Highlight cards when they are within  days of their Deadline (Due Date/Release Date) : A card gets highlighted within the defined number of days of a card Due Date or Release Date starting from today.
For Example, If you define the number of days in this field as 3, then all the cards that are having Due Date or Release Date in next 3 days from today will be highlighted.
- Default column for card addition: The Board Manager can set the default column (Backlog or custom) for adding card via e-mail or for adding parent or child card via Linked Cards section. The card will be added to the Backlog or to the desired column selected from the dropdown based on the Option selected – Backlog or Custom.
- Restrict movement of Parent card: When enabled, it restricts the movement of the parent card from the Associated Parent column to any other column. You can define the Associated Parent column for a parent card. When this policy is enabled and the parent card moves to the Associated Parent column, it then can’t move to any other column unless all of its child cards are archived or moved to the Done column. Read more about Restrict Movement here.
- Enable auto Movement of Parent card: When enabled, it allows the parent card to automatically move from the Associated Parent column to Next column defined in the same swimlane. You can define Associated Parent column for each child card using the Bulk Edit feature. Moreover, you can also define the next column of an Associated Parent column via the Column Settings wizard on the Board Editor page. With this policy, all the child cards, when get archived or move to the Done column, their parent cards, if placed on the Associated Parent column, will automatically move to the next column. Read more about Auto Movement here.