Work Board is the central place to execute your work based on your own workflow, where your work is visible as it flows while limiting work-in-progress. The SwiftEASe Work Board is a powerful and flexible real-time Kanban board for executing SAFe® projects based on visual management. It is designed such that it gives you visual cues to identify the priority, the status of work, bottlenecks, to help you get work done quickly and efficiently.
The Work Board provides all the required flexibility to customize it to suit your value stream with so much less complexity and which is reflected in a few minutes.
To view the Work Board, go to the Organization menu adjacent to the Profile pic at the top-right, and click the My Boards option. you can view the hierarchy of your SAFe® instance via the My Boards page. You can click any of the Board names in the hierarchy to navigate to its Work Board provided you are a part of it.
Alternatively, you can access the Work Board from the Recent Boards menu located on the top for quick access.
Visual Indicators on the Kanban Board
- Column in the Workflow: The columns represent the workflow-Ready, Develop, Validate, and Approve. A column is further divided into sub-columns i.e. In-Progress and Done, except the Ready and the Approve lanes.
- Lane/Board/Card Type Policies: The description you add (which can describe the policies for card movement) when you configure the Board/lanes show on hovering over the Board/Lane headers. The description or policies entered when you define a card type in the application, shows on hovering on the card type in the Legend. This can be effective to communicate card movement policies on the board.
- Card Owner: The card on the Work Board displays the current owner on hovering on the Profile image or “Avatar”. If you have uploaded your picture to your profile, the avatar will also be used for identification. You can also select multiple owners for a card from the list of available users by using <Ctrl + Click> or <Shift + Click> in the Microsoft® Windows or <Command-Click> on the Mac OS®. In case of multiple owners, the profile picture changes to multiple people image and on mouse-hover displays the names of all owners.
- WIP Limit: The WIP limit set for a lane and the total number of cards in that lane is displayed on the lane header. For example, 5/3 indicates there are five cards in the lane and the WIP limit for the lane is three. As the total count of cards in the lane has exceeded the WIP limit i.e. the WIP limit is violated, the lane header is highlighted in red.
- Notifications/Inbox Count: When an item is assigned to you, the Inbox icon flashes a count to indicate the new item. The Notifications icon flashes the count when an event has occurred on the board i.e. when a team member has commented on a card, or violated the WIP limit. The board when refreshed, increments the Inbox/Notifications Count if the Items/events are Unread. This is a very important visual indicator for a distributed team to get in sync.
- Instant Notification Pop-ups: Instant Notification Pop-ups inform about board activities such as adding a card, commenting on a card, etc. in which you are one of the card owners. Instant Notifications pop up at the bottom right corner on the event occurring, whether you are within SwiftEASe, or whenever you return to it if you have been working on other applications. The count of such notifications is also available on the Notifications widget, from which you can later track and navigate to the card for checking the updates.
- Board Editor: To make workflow through the lanes, just drag and release the cards in the lanes. As a product owner, if you want to improve your workflow, you can define your own Kanban board to suit your flow. See Visualize Your Workflow/Process to learn how to define a new Kanban board.
- Side Toolbar: You can perform various operations on the kanban board using the Side toolbar. This toolbar holds different icons, which allows you to add cards, filter boards, view activity log etc. Mouse hovering the Side toolbar gives you various options like:
- Add Card: Adds cards on the Work Board
- Board Filter: Applies filters such as PI or other attribute values to focus specific cards on the board.
- Board Sorter: Sorts cards as per an attribute of the card.
- Legend: Highlights cards based on the selected attribute’s values.
- Activity Log: Shows the card logs like where it has moved, who has updated etc.
- Board Chat: Chat with your team-mates.
- Refresh Board: Refreshes the Board only when you click this icon. This is driven by the preference, ‘Show Live Updates on Board Refresh only’ .
- Board Editor: Map your value streams in terms of lanes and columns of the board, define WIP limits for columns and track your work entirely using various features available on the Work Board.
- Backlog Board: Create your product backlog from the Backlog which can comprise of Card types or any custom cards you created.
- To-Do Board: The To-Do board is a one-stop shop for individuals, teams or organizations to efficiently visualize, monitor and manage all To-Do’s scattered under various cards on a Work Board.
- Zoom In/Out: provides four zoom levels to choose for viewing more or less of cards that is, to the required level of card details. Click the Card Size Slider on the toolbar to view Small, Medium, Large, or Detailed sized cards.
Note: the Fifth level displays very small-sized colorful blacks as per the card type. If a card has a flag on it, then the flag is displayed on it. In case of multiple flags, then the flag with the highest priority (Block>Risk>Issue>Flag) is displayed.
- Calendar: Track a schedule of your work in a calendar view.
- Board Playback: Plays back the Work Board for a past time period and observe patterns of flow.
- Activity Log: Shows the activity logs of both active and inactive cards on a Work Board within a stipulated period.
- Cycle Time Threshold: highlights the current status of the cards in a horizontal line based on the thresholds. Any card under threshold 1 is shown in green, in between threshold 1 and 2 in orange, and beyond threshold 2 in red.