You can create a PI only at the top-level Board. Once you create the PI, it will be available at all the Boards under that top-level Board. For example, if you are creating a PI at the Portfolio-level Board, then the same PI will be available at the Solution, Program and Team level Work Boards.
Note 1: If you want to know whether a chosen Board is a top-level Board or not, from the Board menu, navigate to Board Profile> Project Details section> Is Top Level field should be set as True.
Note 2: You must also remember that if you create a PI at the Portfolio-level Board, you will not be able to drag-drop cards to the PI Scope at this level or not even at the Solution level. You can drag-drop a card and assign a card to a PI only at the Program or Team-level Board.
Let’s understand how you can create a PI.
- Go to your top-level board and click PI from the breadcrumb menu.
On the List of PI page, click Add new PI. Enter the following details:
- Name: Name of the PI.
- PI Start Date: Start date of the PI
- PI End Date: End date of the PI
- ART and Team: Select the ART and the team belonging to that ART while dragging the card from the Not in PI to PI Scope. The card will be tagged to that team.
Important: Before you drag-drop cards and assign them to PI, make sure to read this Hep page on what happens when you select different values for the ART and Team fields.
- Capacity (Points): How much the bandwidth of the PI is booked. Shown in the Story Points, or any other UoM as defined in the Admin. Alternatively, it can be shown in Hours also if the To-Do (Hours) is selected from the top-right option.
Note 1: Capacity can be entered only when you select an ART and a Team. If the Team is selected as ALL, then the Capacity field will be in read-only mode.
Note 2: You can decide the Capacity UoM for all the PIs listed on the PI Page from the drop-down list on the upper right corner.
By default, the Capacity of the PI is interpreted in Story Points or any other UoM as defined in the Admin. But, you can also set it to be shown in To-Do Hours.
- Confidence: It is the team’s vote on the aggregated confidence on the business value set for the PI. The team can enter any value in the range of 1-5, as 5 denotes the highest confidence.
A PI created will be available in the PI list to be tagged to a card (unless a release is closed). Moreover, you can also assign a PI to a card from its edit view by selecting the PI from the field with the same name.
To view the cards scoped in the past PIs, click the PI row and to hide, click it again.
The next step would be to understand the PI page and Not in PI and PI Scope columns. To know more about it, see this Help page.