To enforce better collaboration and compliance of the established processes, you can define additional policies for movement of cards on the board.
1. To activate the policies, navigate to your Work Board, and click the Board Editor icon on the side toolbar.
2 .In the Board Editor view, click the Board Policies icon on the toolbar. Various policies are displayed.
Note: Based on the assigned role on the board, the user can view the Board Policies icon.
3. Select the policies you want to apply on the board:
The Board Policies page is categorized into 4 logical grouping tabs:
- Auto archive the cards in the Done type column after  days: Any card that has been in the Done column or beyond for more than the specified number of days will be auto-archived. For Example, If you define the number of days in this field as 3, then all the cards that are in the done column or beyond for more than 3 days will be archived automatically.
Note: The minimum value will be 1 day otherwise policy will be not be saved.
- Default column for card addition: The Board Manager can set the default column (Backlog or custom) for adding a card via e-mail or for adding a parent or child card via the Linked Cards section. The card will be added to the Backlog or to the desired column selected from the dropdown based on the Option selected – Backlog or Custom.
- Highlight cards when they are within  days of their Deadline (Due Date/Release Date): A card gets highlighted within the defined number of days of a card Due Date or Release Date starting from today.
- Make comment entry mandatory on card movement: When team members move a card from one lane to another, the comment window appears, where they must enter comments. The policy helps the team to stay updated (by tracking the Comments section of the card) when cards change lanes.
Note: While adding a comment, you can mention your teammates in the comment too. To know more, click here.
- Set default card type as <select any of the card types configured on your board>: When team members add a card on the board, the default card type set here appears automatically in the Card Type list in the Add card window. The policy saves time in selecting the card type manually, which is mostly added on the board. You can set card types that have been enabled for your board.
- Auto-assign cards when pulled: When team members pull a card, the card will get automatically assigned to the team member who pulls it. The policy enables automatic assignment, thus keeping the correct track of who is working on it as a card owner.
- Actual Cost calculation driven by: In the Lean Budget, you can define how the actual cost will be calculated. You can set it to be based on the Actual Effort logged on ToDo(s) on a card or the Estimate entered on the cards. To know more about it, read the section on Actual on this Help page.
The WIP Limit Policies tab includes the following:
- WIP limit in terms of estimate: When selected, the WIP limit for a lane or column will be counted based on the estimate points of the cards.
The Team Preferences tab includes the following:
- Alert team members if the cards are moved without task closure: If the card has To-Dos that have not been closed, the Complete Pending To-Dos window appears before the card moves to the next lane. Team members can update the Current State of the pending To-Do. On clicking the ‘Mark All as Complete icon’ on the To-Do toolbar, the pending To-Dos are automatically set to ‘Completed’. The policy proposes team members to close the pending To-Dos, but does not restrict them from pulling the card to the next lane or keeping the To-Do as pending.
- Allow shared resources on board: Enable this policy to let the shared team members access, update, or modify particular cards that they have been assigned to, with read-only access to the rest of the cards on the board. Get to know more about Sharing Resources from this page.
- Restrict movement of Parent card: When enabled, it restricts the movement of the parent card from the Associated Parent column to any other column. You can define the Associated Parent column for a parent card. When this policy is enabled and the parent card moves to the Associated Parent column, it then can’t move to any other column unless all of its child cards are archived or moved to the Done column. Read more about Restrict Movement here.
- Enable auto Movement of Parent card: When enabled, it allows the parent card to automatically move from the Associated Parent column to the Next column defined in the same swimlane. You can define the Associated Parent column for each child card using the Bulk Edit feature. Moreover, you can also define the next column of an Associated Parent column via the Column Settings wizard on the Board Editor page. With this policy, all the child cards, when get archived or move to the Done column, their parent cards, if placed on the Associated Parent column, will automatically move to the next column. Read more about Auto Movement here.
- Enforce Value Stream for the swimlane: When enabled, the card type selection section of the policy gets enabled. Select the card types for each swimlane (except Portfolio lane) to ensure that cards follow all required workflow stages (the columns) of a swim lane as they move from left to right. This policy restricts the movement of the cards and not allowing the cards to skip any value stream within the swimlane. As a result, helps your team ensure greater process adherence where needed.
Note: This will still allow you to move a card to or beyond the Done column or archive a card from any column.