To some, DevOps is a culture, to others it’s a software development methodology on its own. While there will always be discussion and favorite definitions, DevOps has generally come to encompass a philosophy that emphasizes communication, collaboration and cooperation between software developers and the other stake holders in the information technology industry.
What is DevOps?
There is general acknowledgement that actual software development, quality assurance and IT operations are interdependent and there is a need to ensure that these functions (traditionally always functionally independent) need to work as one to ensure rapid delivery of products or services that meet industry standards. And this is why the concepts of continuous integration (for developers), automation (QA) and continuous delivery (IT operations) have become increasingly popular. The goal remains the same though – how do you deliver a stable, feature rich system – the final product – to your end user?
Enter DevOps from Digité!
The DevOps solution from Digité leverages SwiftSync, with out-of-the-box integration to nearly 40 tools across the Dev/ Ops value-chain, the Enterprise Dashboards and Traceability of SwiftALM and the power of visualizing the complete DevOps value stream of SwiftKanban. (Of course, you don’t necessarily have to use all three. If you already have tools that meet the needs, all you need is SwiftSync for integrating them all!)
Kanban in particular helps you combine the workflows of different functions and activities right from Dev to Integration/ Build, Test, Deployment and beyond that to application monitoring. Initially, it will help your Dev and Ops people to work in a collaborative manner. Over a period of time, you can evolve into a single team and single workflow that includes all of Dev and Ops activities. Kanban provides you visibility to this entire process – and transformation to a DevOps culture.
The result: higher team productivity, better governance, and faster project completion, whether teams are in-house or outsourced, onshore or offshore. With SwiftALM as your Global Development Platform, you get more control, lower costs, and better results.
SwiftSync is an integration bus platform that provides such integration for application and software development organizations that want to improve their development efficiency, increase organizational visibility, manage regulatory compliance, improve time-to-market, and more. SwiftSync supports integration with the leading ALM tools, including those from HP, Microsoft, IBM, Accept, Atlassian, Rally, Serena, and more.
SwiftSync has been architected, designed and built to enable multi-directional synchronization across your existing development environment, delivering seamless collaboration to your product development organization. Besides that, it provides full transaction history, audit trailing and recovery capability in case of any sync failures.
Combined with SwiftALM and SwiftKanban, SwiftSync provides you a sophisticated DevOps framework that integrates your complete delivery workflow, provides the necessary dashboard and reports as well as visualizes completed DevOps cycle.
This visibility ensures everyone knows what stages a work item must flow through to ensure it’s considered ‘Done and Successful’ and this has noticeable advantages –
• What needs to be fixed – mapping you workflow shows you what needs to be fixed first with the processes you follow. Indeed, with Kanban, you begin with what you’re currently doing and then try to continuously improve.
• Priorities – Your stakeholders know what’s (what work items are?) prioritized with just one glance at ‘the board’. This ensures that the right/ important work is picked after taking into consideration how it affects the overall stability of the system (picking the right one ensures minimum friction is introduced). This ensures that every team (including internal customers) knows what’s in alignment with the business’ (department’s) goals.
• Automation – SwiftSync integration adaptors and the Kanban board help with the end-to-end automation to shows how your work flows, where your bottlenecks are, what you cycle time is – in effect showing you where automation might help and what needs to be improved.
How do you Get Started?
DevOps requires strategy and intent. You need to have Management that understands the strategic value of DevOps and the technological challenges in implementing a real DevOps solution. You need Developers who are willing to do bits of QA and understand how much change they can introduce into the system without disrupting flow and you need your Operations team to understand what changes (/features) to prepare for to ensure stability. It can definitely help with both though – when you have everyone on board (literally!) there is less tension all around and ensures every function (and individual) is more effective and knows what exactly needs to be done.
To get going, the easiest thing is to get touch with our Sales team and set up a customized demo of a full DevOps solution and see how it can be tailored for your requirements.
• Setting up the Integrated Tool Chain. Depending on your current tool-set, we can easily and quickly help you set up the integrations needed for end-to-end solution, using SwiftSync and its adapters. In case an adapter is not currently available, we should be happy to work with you to build custom adapters for your requirements.
• Your Dev team can track their own work on a separate Kanban board. For the basics of a Kanban board read our article on Kanban Boards.
• Ops can have their own boards that revolve around automation, production and support that have work items of the form ‘Maintenance’, ‘Implementation’, ‘Desktop/ Server Support’ among others.